The student news site of McKinney High School

Manestream News

Manestream News

Manestream News

Weather, McKinney TX

• 12 PM
    76 °
  • 1 PM
    77 °
  • 2 PM
    78 °
  • 3 PM
    79 °
  • 4 PM
    79 °
  • 5 PM
    79 °
  • 6 PM
    78 °
  • 7 PM
    75 °
  • 8 PM
    73 °
  • 9 PM
    71 °
  • 10 PM
    70 °
  • 11 PM
    69 °
  • 12 AM
    69 °
  • 1 AM
    68 °
  • 2 AM
    67 °
  • 3 AM
    67 °
  • 4 AM
    66 °
  • 5 AM
    65 °
  • 6 AM
    65 °
  • 7 AM
    65 °
  • 8 AM
    66 °
  • 9 AM
    66 °
  • 10 AM
    67 °
  • 11 AM
    69 °
  • 12 PM
    71 °
May 4
79°/ 66°
Moderate rain
May 5
77°/ 64°
Heavy rain
May 6
79°/ 66°
Patchy rain nearby

UIL Denies McKinney ISD’s Recent Appeal to Change 5A District

McKINNEY, Texas – The UIL denied McKinney ISD’s appeal to shift McKinney Boyd High School and  McKinney High School out of District 10-5A.  The recent UIL realignment moves McKinney Boyd High School and McKinney High School to a district that is now home to the four largest high schools in Texas.

District 10-5A High School Enrollments

Plano East High School – 6,015

Allen High School – 5,388

Plano Senior High School – 5,314

Plano West High School – 4,944

McKinney Boyd High School – 2,900

McKinney High School – 2,121

McKinney Boyd High School is roughly half the size of Plano East High School, and at a little over 2,000 students, McKinney High School is only a 1/3 the size.  While the District was willing to move one or both of the schools to another UIL district, the primary goal was to provide McKinney High School with competition comparable to their size as they hovered between the 4A and 5A threshold throughout the year.  Subsequent enrollment data indicates that they would not likely fall into the 5A category if the UIL were to use today’s enrollment numbers.

The District sought to move the schools to McKinney Boyd High School’s previous alignment, District 11-5A, which includes high schools in Garland ISD.  McKinney North High School enrolls around 1,750 students and was placed in District 13-4A along with Denison, Greenville, Lovejoy, Royse City, Sherman, Wylie, and Wylie East.

“Unfortunately, our appeal was denied, but we will continue dialogue with the UIL about the fairness of placing a school on the cusp of being 4A with the four largest high schools in the State of Texas,” said Cody Cunningham, McKinney ISD Chief Communications Officer.  “We recognize there is value in raising the level of competition.  However, there is a point at which the sheer number of students in a given program makes fair competition unreasonable.  I think one could make a strong argument that 3,000 – 4,000 additional students in one school versus another certainly falls into this category.”

The current district alignment will remain for 2012-2014.  While district officials plan on continuing conversations with the UIL about the issue, they have no plans for using the new alignment as an excuse.

“We appealed the decision, but the UIL has made its decision and we will now move forward,” added Cunningham.  “Our message to students will be not to dwell on the issue, but rather, to prepare for the competition and demonstrate character and integrity just as they have in the past.”

District 10
The four largest schools in the state:
Plano East … 6,015
Allen … 5,388
Plano … 5,314
Plano West … 4,944

McKinney Boyd…2,900
McKinney HS… 2,121

photo by Sawyer Erickson