The student news site of McKinney High School

Manestream News

Manestream News

Manestream News

Weather, McKinney TX

• 4 AM
    70 °
  • 5 AM
    70 °
  • 6 AM
    70 °
  • 7 AM
    71 °
  • 8 AM
    74 °
  • 9 AM
    77 °
  • 10 AM
    80 °
  • 11 AM
    82 °
  • 12 PM
    84 °
  • 1 PM
    86 °
  • 2 PM
    87 °
  • 3 PM
    87 °
  • 4 PM
    87 °
  • 5 PM
    87 °
  • 6 PM
    86 °
  • 7 PM
    83 °
  • 8 PM
    80 °
  • 9 PM
    79 °
  • 10 PM
    77 °
  • 11 PM
    76 °
  • 12 AM
    75 °
  • 1 AM
    74 °
  • 2 AM
    73 °
  • 3 AM
    73 °
  • 4 AM
    72 °
July 27
88°/ 70°
Patchy rain nearby
July 28
88°/ 71°
Patchy rain nearby
July 29
98°/ 74°
Partly Cloudy

Band students audition for All Region

Photo courtesy of Royal Pride Band

Band members participated in the annual Band All Region Phase 1 auditions on Thursday, Nov. 30.Students who made the All Region Band will be put into an ensemble of other students from Frisco, McKinney, Little Elm and Prosper who qualified. They will come together to perform a concert.

“All Region is where students from several different schools come together to have an audition on similar music or the same music,” said Brandon Fisher, head director of bands. “They have the opportunity to make a band that gets together one time and rehearses music and puts on a concert.”After receiving their All Region music in July, students practiced for months for the audition. They displayed their hard work in front of an anonymous group of judges. “The first thing I do when the etudes are released is I listened to the etudes and I really try to understand what’s going on,” senior Daniel Moss said. “And I actually don’t work on trying to play the etude until after the first week. I spend a couple days, up to a week, just trying to understand what’s going on in the music, how it’s supposed to sound and where the flow is supposed to be.”Some student received private lessons from teachers once a week. Others worked on the music on their own or with the help of band directors. “My lesson teacher, Ms. Biholar, she helps me a lot,” Daniel said. “We have an hour lesson every week and Mr. Fisher has also listened to my etudes a couple of times and given me a lot of feedback.”

After advancing to Area, students will audition for All State Band on January 6.

“In the last few years we’ve probably had about 10 to 15 students that make the All Region Band each year,” Mr. Fisher said. “A few kids advance to Area and every now and then we have 1 or 2 or 3 kids that make the all state band.”