The student news site of McKinney High School

Manestream News

Manestream News

Manestream News

Weather, McKinney TX

• 8 AM
    69 °
  • 9 AM
    72 °
  • 10 AM
    74 °
  • 11 AM
    75 °
  • 12 PM
    76 °
  • 1 PM
    77 °
  • 2 PM
    78 °
  • 3 PM
    79 °
  • 4 PM
    79 °
  • 5 PM
    79 °
  • 6 PM
    78 °
  • 7 PM
    75 °
  • 8 PM
    73 °
  • 9 PM
    71 °
  • 10 PM
    70 °
  • 11 PM
    69 °
  • 12 AM
    69 °
  • 1 AM
    68 °
  • 2 AM
    67 °
  • 3 AM
    67 °
  • 4 AM
    66 °
  • 5 AM
    65 °
  • 6 AM
    65 °
  • 7 AM
    65 °
  • 8 AM
    66 °
May 4
79°/ 66°
Moderate rain
May 5
77°/ 64°
Heavy rain
May 6
79°/ 66°
Patchy rain nearby

AP government makes board games

It’s all fun and games for Lucas Henry’s AP government classes. Students created and played board games based off the book The Supremes Greatest Hits in class last Monday.

“We have been doing this project for two years,” Henry said. “It emphasizes in a fun way the historical importance of Supreme Court cases.”

Divided into groups of two or three, students replicated an old board game to create their new one.

“Our game was called Sandbox and we took popsicle sticks and glued questions on them. You have to try to get ten questions right then after that you trade in a stick for a ping-pong ball,” Senior Kristi Le said. “You’re building a popsicle fence around a toy solider, but a ping pong ball knocks down the opponents fence.”

Once students choose a game to replicate, they were required to incorporate 25 of the 37 cases from the book and the 10 amendments from the Bill of Rights.

“We choose to put the amendments and case questions on the popsicle sticks to build the defense,” Le said.

Games were graded based on the accuracy of information, playability, and neatness.

“Me and my group put so much hard work into this and it felt good to have a 100,” Le said. “He didn’t give everybody a 100 just cause.”

The students played finished board games in class on Monday the 16.

“After grading the games I’ll sit and play,” Lucas Henry, AP government teacher said. “I am a ridiculously competitive person and, I’m good. I always win at games.”

Whether Mr. Henry played or students played one another, everyone agreed that creating a game board is the best way to understand the book.

“It was a good project,” Le said. “I liked the book because it was helpful, but I was pretty much bored while reading it. It was fun playing the game in class because every group got to show Mr. Henry how to play and watching other people play their games was cool.”

by Hailey Kilgo

photo by Rachel Proctor