The student news site of McKinney High School

Manestream News

Manestream News

Manestream News

Weather, McKinney TX

• 2 PM
    72 °
  • 3 PM
    75 °
  • 4 PM
    77 °
  • 5 PM
    77 °
  • 6 PM
    76 °
  • 7 PM
    74 °
  • 8 PM
    73 °
  • 9 PM
    72 °
  • 10 PM
    70 °
  • 11 PM
    70 °
  • 12 AM
    69 °
  • 1 AM
    69 °
  • 2 AM
    68 °
  • 3 AM
    69 °
  • 4 AM
    69 °
  • 5 AM
    69 °
  • 6 AM
    69 °
  • 7 AM
    69 °
  • 8 AM
    70 °
  • 9 AM
    71 °
  • 10 AM
    72 °
  • 11 AM
    74 °
  • 12 PM
    76 °
  • 1 PM
    77 °
  • 2 PM
    79 °
April 26
78°/ 69°
Moderate rain
April 27
80°/ 67°
Moderate rain
April 28
78°/ 62°
Moderate rain

Johnson receives call-back to audition for drum corp

web_Fixed_Sam_Johnson_DCI_121412_JV_012Sam Johnson isn’t used to being a good musician, but his success as a trumpet player suggests that he is.

Over Thanksgiving break, the senior traveled to San Antonio to audition for the Bluecoats, a world class, professional drum corp that competes in Drum Corps International (DCI).

“DCI is an affiliation of private organizations that contain brass and percussion and compete against one another in a national circuit,” Sam said. “It’s a step above high school and college band, and it’s a whole different level of professional competition.”

During the Royal Pride Band’s second summer camp, Sam decided to try out for a drum corp.

“I’ve been to DCI three times. I’ve always wanted to do it, but I never thought I’d be good enough,” Sam said. “This year, I really started working hard on trumpet. I just loved it and I loved marching band, so I decided that DCI was something I really wanted to do.”

After he competed in the 4A All-Area competition last year, Sam took trumpet more seriously.

“I was so close to making state, but I didn’t,” Sam said. “I realized that senior year was really my last chance, and I realized how much I’ve loved trumpet. Everything I’ve ever achieved is because of my work ethic, so I decided to apply that to music.”

Of the 24 world class drum corps, the then 17 year old chose the Bluecoats.

“They’re a really friendly organization, and they’re not incredibly hostile,” Sam said. “They’re elite and competitive, but they’re not the best, and I felt like I had a chance at making it as a high schooler.”

In San Antonio, Sam attended an overnight, two-day camp with other Bluecoats-hopefuls. Sam participated in clinics that went over marching the corp’s fundamentals and playing.

“It was definitely an intense and very focused environment,” Sam said. “I learned a lot of things about trumpet playing, I got a taste of what professional musicianship is like, and I got to experience working with a large group of people that are all incredibly talented and dedicated.”

The try-out included both playing and marching. After a 12-hour rehearsal on the second day of the camp, Sam auditioned. He received a call-back for a lead trumpet part.

“Getting first part was a shocker,” Sam said. “I didn’t even know if I’d get a call-back at all, and getting to audition on lead was really special. I think that was when I realized I might have a chance as a professional musician.”

In January, Sam will audition again in Canton, Ohio.

“Because they offered me a lead spot, I definitely feel like I have a greater chance than those told to audition on the lower parts,” Sam said. “I’m not expecting anything, though, because this entire process is so incredibly competitive.”

Ken Ringel, the director of the Royal Pride Band, marched Bluecoats in 1989 and 1990, and has supported his first chair trumpet’s decision to try-out for the same corp.

“It’s really neat to have a student that may be in the corp I was in,” Mr. Ringel said. “I marched Bluecoats for two years and it was a great experience. I saw a lot of the country, met a lot of great people and learned to work hard. It’s one of the best things that I’ve done.”

Not only did Sam succeed in his Bluecoats audition, he ranked 3rd in the 5A All-Region Band and qualified to audition at the area level. In January, he will compete for All-State a second time.

“I’m not used to being good, so I don’t really perceive myself as deserving of my rank,” Sam said. “I’m appreciative and thankful that all of the work has paid off, but I feel like I’m under a lot of pressure to finish the job.”

In addition to being band president, Sam is ranked among the top 10 people in his class.

“Balancing band with schoolwork is sometimes incredibly difficult, but I apply a steady work ethic to everything I do,” Sam said. “I don’t make excuses for myself, and that seems to really pay off.”

Sam plans to pursue music in college.

“I don’t know how far I’ll take [music], so whether or not I major or double major is not decided,” Sam said. “But I love playing too much to set it down after high school.”

If Sam receives a spot on the Bluecoats, he will spend next summer touring up to 10,000 miles across the nation. Although Sam would be considered a professional, he would not receive pay. In fact, he would be required to pay about $3,000 to participate.

“It would be amazing. I would get to spend an entire summer gaining comradery and friendship with a huge organization,” Sam said. “I’d be considered a professional musician and athlete, and I’d get to tour the nation doing something I love.”

by Kayla Crowley

photo by Jessica Velez