The student news site of McKinney High School

Manestream News

Manestream News

Manestream News

Weather, McKinney TX

• 3 PM
    76 °
  • 4 PM
    77 °
  • 5 PM
    77 °
  • 6 PM
    76 °
  • 7 PM
    74 °
  • 8 PM
    71 °
  • 9 PM
    69 °
  • 10 PM
    68 °
  • 11 PM
    67 °
  • 12 AM
    66 °
  • 1 AM
    65 °
  • 2 AM
    65 °
  • 3 AM
    64 °
  • 4 AM
    64 °
  • 5 AM
    63 °
  • 6 AM
    63 °
  • 7 AM
    64 °
  • 8 AM
    67 °
  • 9 AM
    69 °
  • 10 AM
    72 °
  • 11 AM
    76 °
  • 12 PM
    78 °
  • 1 PM
    80 °
  • 2 PM
    82 °
  • 3 PM
    82 °
April 28
78°/ 66°
Heavy rain
April 29
83°/ 62°
Sunny
April 30
79°/ 63°
Patchy rain nearby

Football helmet stickers have meaning for players

If you get a sticker on your paper, it means it’s perfect. That’s exactly how senior Jumaane Ross-Brown feels when he earns a sticker for his football helmet.

Varsity football players are awarded stickers when they achieve a goal set for them by their coaches.

“It feels good to get a sticker,” Jumaane said. “It’s fun and it makes the helmet look better.”

The paws stand for defensive and offensive team goals that the players make before each game. The stars represent fulfilled individual goals, such as when a player forces a turnover or makes a big play. Goals include four plus three and outs, two plus turnovers, and holding a team to 20 percent red zone score.

“Sudden changes, which are changes in momentum, turnovers and no big plays from the other team are the three main goals that everyone strives for,” Jumaane said. “Of course we have to win the game to receive any awards at all.”

Only varsity football players can receive stickers. After a game, coaches watch footage from that night to determine which players did what and the awards they should receive. The JV coaches help the varsity coaches put on the stickers of the players that earned and completed their goals.

“Stickers motivate the team so they play and work harder to accomplish their goals and awards,” head coach Jeff Smith said. “The coaches put the stickers on the following Saturday morning.”

The player with the most team and individual goals is senior Troy Taylor with 45 paws and 13 stars, 58 total.

“It feels good, but I am not satisfied with them because I’m always hungry for more,” Troy said. ““I want to be the number 1 guy at the end with the most stickers.”

Written by Khalil Webb