The student news site of McKinney High School

Manestream News

Manestream News

Manestream News

Weather, McKinney TX

• 6 AM
    54 °
  • 7 AM
    54 °
  • 8 AM
    55 °
  • 9 AM
    57 °
  • 10 AM
    60 °
  • 11 AM
    63 °
  • 12 PM
    66 °
  • 1 PM
    68 °
  • 2 PM
    70 °
  • 3 PM
    71 °
  • 4 PM
    71 °
  • 5 PM
    70 °
  • 6 PM
    69 °
  • 7 PM
    67 °
  • 8 PM
    66 °
  • 9 PM
    64 °
  • 10 PM
    63 °
  • 11 PM
    62 °
  • 12 AM
    62 °
  • 1 AM
    61 °
  • 2 AM
    60 °
  • 3 AM
    60 °
  • 4 AM
    59 °
  • 5 AM
    59 °
  • 6 AM
    58 °
March 29
72°/ 54°
Sunny
March 30
76°/ 58°
Partly Cloudy
March 31
75°/ 62°
Partly Cloudy

Hashbarger takes records stroke by stroke

Sammie Hashbarger has broken five school swimming records as a sophomore. She holds the best time in the 50-meter, 100-meter, and 200-meter freestyle, the 100-meter backstroke, and the 100-meter butterfly. She is the defending state champion in the 100-meter freestyle.

Sammie has eight years of experience swimming and trains both at school and at Metroplex Aquatics.

“I practice every day except Sunday for two and a half to three and a half hours each day, with an hour of dry land on the longer days,” Sammie said. “To start, I usually swim a 600 and then get into drill stuff like running, push-ups, abs, arms, and legs, and sometimes we play ultimate Frisbee.”

Sammie attends swim meets with the school each week and with Metroplex about once every two weeks.

“As I’m swimming in meets, I’m anxious and a little nervous,” Sammie said, “Because I don’t know how I’ll be or if I’m having a bad day or if I’m just off; but when I break a record I’m relieved and happy. Records are easy for me because they’re kinda slow.”

Two professional swimmers and Olympic gold medalists, Garrett Weber-Gale and Natalie Coughlin, inspire Sammie to keep swimming and work hard.

“I’ve met Garrett Weber-Gale and got to talk to him and he’s worked with me on my stroke and stuff,” Sammie said. “Also I like Natalie Coughlin because when I was younger I felt like I was kind of like her and we have similar strokes.”

After high school, Sammie plans to swim in college, but her ultimate goal is to swim in the Olympics. She is less than one second away from the Olympic trial time in the 100-meter and 50-meter freestyle.

“Right now I’m not sure where I’m going, but the college I want go to is UT because I love the pool and I’d get to swim with Garrett Weber-Gale and a lot of other Olympians like Aaron Peirsol.” Sammie said. “I’m shooting for the Olympics. I’m really close to the Olympic trial time.”

Sammie has set a goal for herself to make it to the Olympic trials, which pushes her in practice.

“Thinking of that goal pushes me to train hard and keep going,” Sammie said. “I love swimming. It’s just fun for me. I love doing good to please God who has given me this talent and also my family who helps me get through the hard times and helps me get back up and start racing.”

by Lexy Ludwig