The student news site of McKinney High School

Manestream News

Manestream News

Manestream News

Weather, McKinney TX

• 3 AM
    69 °
  • 4 AM
    69 °
  • 5 AM
    69 °
  • 6 AM
    69 °
  • 7 AM
    70 °
  • 8 AM
    70 °
  • 9 AM
    71 °
  • 10 AM
    72 °
  • 11 AM
    74 °
  • 12 PM
    76 °
  • 1 PM
    78 °
  • 2 PM
    80 °
  • 3 PM
    80 °
  • 4 PM
    80 °
  • 5 PM
    79 °
  • 6 PM
    78 °
  • 7 PM
    76 °
  • 8 PM
    75 °
  • 9 PM
    73 °
  • 10 PM
    72 °
  • 11 PM
    71 °
  • 12 AM
    71 °
  • 1 AM
    71 °
  • 2 AM
    70 °
  • 3 AM
    70 °
April 27
81°/ 67°
Moderate rain
April 28
78°/ 65°
Moderate rain
April 29
85°/ 61°
Sunny

Here comes the ‘fun’

Orchestra to host concert featuring The Beatles music
Azmat Afzal

Following a theme surrounding The Beatles, orchestra will host its annual preview concert tomorrow in the PAC at 6 p.m.

Every year, at the preview concert each group plays a piece related to the theme. The performance is followed by an informational meeting led by Director Jeff Harvick.

“We do it as quickly as we can,” Mr. Harvick said. “We use that event as a meeting to set our expectations for the year and go over what orchestra is going to look like with students and their families.”

Past concert themes consisted of fiddle music, classical-rock and “meme” music.

“The Beatles music I think is really timeless,” Mr. Harvick said. “It can be enjoyed by students, and if not by them, then I figured most of their parents would know the songs.”

The concert will include selections like “Ob‐La‐Di, Ob‐La‐Da,” “Yesterday,” “Hey Jude,” and “Eleanor Rigby.” New assistant director Jacob Cortez will conduct his favorite selection, “Hey Jude.”

“I like the meaning behind ‘Hey Jude,’” Mr. Cortez said. “The lyrics are very potent. The melody and the end chorus evolves into a communal sense. When Paul McCartney performed it at the Olympics and everybody in the huge stadium sang those last ‘na na nas’ in the chorus, it was powerful to me.”

The meeting after the concert will include dates for future social events for orchestra. Last year, orchestra students bonded through playing tug of war at Towne Lake and traveling to Florida.

“When we know our music well enough, I can just glance over to see another person enjoying the song just like me,” junior Emma Alonso said. “It’s great to see everyone happy while playing their part.”

Sophomore Moss Golden said she “enjoys the impact” of playing in orchestra. Moss plans to be an orchestra director someday.

“It has been teaching me how music is important for people to understand other people,” Moss said. “When you play music, you must think about why you are doing it, and the intention behind certain phrases. So, I have been thinking on how I can teach that to kids in the future.”