Talent show auditions due this week

Branden Svevo

Senior Andrew Holmes and junior Lexi Short perform at the choir fall concert.

Jailyn Serrano

The 3rd annual NHS and WHAB club talent show will be held in the cafeteria on March 20 during 6th and 7th period. Tickets will be sold for $5 the week of March 2-6 during all lunches. 

Auditions for the talent show can be submitted to tinyurl.com/MHStalent20 by Feb. 29. 

“We want to give students with special talents a platform to share it at the school,” senior WHAB president and NHS secretary Amanda Walker said. “I know we have a broad range of extracurriculars offered at the school, but there are so many things that kids are passionate about that they can’t show, so this is an opportunity for that.”

NHS and WHAB have joined forces once again to organize the talent show. Talents can include singing, dancing, playing an instrument, comedy and many more.

“I will be playing piano and singing in the talent show,” senior and former winner of the talent show Andrew Holmes said. “I’m excited to be participating in it again because it’s super fun.”

Instead of having teachers judge, students will be able to vote for the winner this year. First place will receive a $75 cash price, 2nd will receive $50 and 3rd will receive $25. 

“This year we have a big team of students working on this show,” junior WHAB club member Indrani Garganigo said. “We really want to get the word out and fill up all 500 available seats.”

All proceeds from the show will go to City House, a homeless shelter for teens and children in North Texas. 

“I’m on the Youth Advisory Board for City House, so it has a special place in my heart,” Amanda said. “We wanted to do something that benefitted a local organization and they have a good cause that directly resonates with high schoolers.”

All students with tickets to the talent show will report to their 6th period March 6 and after a few minutes, an announcement will be made to dismiss them to the show.

“We really want to get the word out about City House and we hope students will turn out to enjoy the show,” Amanda said. “This is a great opportunity for the general student body to rally together and appreciate the talent we have here at McKinney High School.”