No more Pride Time

Nicole Oesterreicher

The bell’s ring, teachers sigh and students flee. Pride Time was here or as others like to call it, “Hide Time.” Students file into their classrooms while teachers prepare to lead the assigned lesson of the week the best they can.

When students found out that Pride Time was eliminated from the weekly routine this year, some were saddened, others were grateful.

“I feel exuberant about the cancelation of Pride Time.” sophomore Lauren Tyson said. “I’m glad to have my class time back, since I need all the help I can get.”

Pride Time was developed to offer an advisory period to help students through high school as well as life outside of school.

“Pride Time presented great opportunities for incoming students,” senior Margo Deathrage said. “It fulfilled a purpose of establishing connections for new students.”

Pride Time included group discussions related to real world experiences such as what to expect in a job interview and how to prepare for one.

“I liked how the activities we did in my class, taught us about lessons outside of school,” senior Tonea Conley said. “If Pride Time comes back, I hope teachers actually require group activities and continue to teach us about life outside of school and growing up.”

The purpose of why Pride Time was eliminated may remain a mystery, leaving the students with only their opinions. Some speculate it was because of all the added AP classes, others believe it was because of the school’s growing population.

“I think the reason we don’t have Pride Time this year is because it’s purpose was unclear to most of the student body,” sophomore Lindsay Hancz said. “Sure the name explains what was intended, but how it was setup didn’t provide the students or teachers with a motivation to actually make Pride Time work. Honestly, we all just saw it as a way to get out of class.”

The idea behind Pride Time was promising, because it had potential to help lead students down the right path, teach them new ways and help them achieve the best they can.

“I think having different groups and teachers each year and discussing things that will help me when I get to be an adult, would make Pride Time better,” Lauren Tyson said. “Even discussing current events.”

Not matter your views on Pride Time, it was an experience that can never be replaced.

“Pride Time sounded fun when it was introduced,” said Lindsay Hancz. “My perspective was quickly changed, seeing it was a waste of valuable class time. With that being said I do not want Pride Time to be brought back.”