The student news site of McKinney High School

Manestream News

Manestream News

Manestream News

Weather, McKinney TX

• 6 AM
    54 °
  • 7 AM
    54 °
  • 8 AM
    55 °
  • 9 AM
    57 °
  • 10 AM
    60 °
  • 11 AM
    63 °
  • 12 PM
    66 °
  • 1 PM
    68 °
  • 2 PM
    70 °
  • 3 PM
    71 °
  • 4 PM
    71 °
  • 5 PM
    70 °
  • 6 PM
    69 °
  • 7 PM
    67 °
  • 8 PM
    66 °
  • 9 PM
    64 °
  • 10 PM
    63 °
  • 11 PM
    62 °
  • 12 AM
    62 °
  • 1 AM
    61 °
  • 2 AM
    60 °
  • 3 AM
    60 °
  • 4 AM
    59 °
  • 5 AM
    59 °
  • 6 AM
    58 °
March 29
72°/ 54°
Sunny
March 30
76°/ 58°
Partly Cloudy
March 31
75°/ 62°
Partly Cloudy

It’s a-maze-ing: New campus confounds students

After a summer spent in anticipation, I finally walked the halls of the new McKinney High School, taking in the sights of new windows, new carpet, new walls, and an entire school covered in a thin veil of dust. Construction workers were still busy at work, and teachers were scrambling to move into their new rooms (except for Mr. Scanlan, who was already right at home working on his lesson plans). I walked the main hallway down to D hall, only to find a void of construction in its place. I decided to take a trip down to A hall, and ended up in F hall.

What’s an F hall?

The school is huge, amazing and confusing. After three walks around campus, though, I finally figured out where I was and how to get around. Knowing that most of my peers would walk into the school on Monday and get lost just as I did, I decided to throw together a quick list of tips for getting around the school.

Quick Tips for Navigating MHS:

•  Don’t worry, the old main hallway and staircases, the fine arts wing, the halls behind the gym and E hall are the same.
  • You won’t have a class in D hall because as of right now it does not exist.
  • There’s still no downstairs A hall.
  •  Upstairs A hall is located above the front offices in the new front entrance (the big box thing coming out of the building). There are several staircases leading up there, which will be obvious when you walk in the school. If you’re in physics, you’ll end up there at some point during your day.

Upstairs A hall

• Downstairs E Hall is no longer the language hall. It is now freshman through junior level English classes.
  •  Upstairs E hall is still Social Studies
  •  Upstairs F hall has the majority of science classes while downstairs F has the agriculture classes. F hall is notable for its blue, metallic-looking walls. Upstairs F is composed of the “U” hallways that used to be A hall and B hall, while downstairs F runs next to the new library. Go to that area and you’ll find F hall.
  •  C hall, upstairs and down, isn’t totally done. The first few classrooms and the back classrooms are, but most of the old hallway is still torn up. So, to get to the farther back C hall classes, you have to go through B hall.
  • There is a huge hallway that leads from the old main hallway to the new library, downstairs F hall and downstairs B hall. You’ll notice it. There is a staircase you’ll see when you go through the hall that leads to upstairs B hall and C hall.New Library
  •  The first few classrooms before the construction in downstairs C hall are the yearbook room and marketing room, while the first few upstairs C hall rooms are math rooms.
  •  The front part of downstairs B hall is cosmetology, criminal justice, CTE classes, eHigh and engineering. The front part of upstairs B is math and science. B hall has a weird spit upstairs – part of it runs over downstairs B, another part extends over the library and is home to science labs.
  •  B hall connects of the back parts of C hall. The back parts of upstairs C and B hall are languages. The back parts of downstairs B and C are art classes and downstairs C hall is home to senior level English
  •  There is a staircase in the back of B hall and C hall. The C hall staircase is behind a set of double doors.
  •  The old A hall staircase is still there at the end of F hall.

It’s OK if you get lost a few times in the new McKinney High. It’s confusing, especially to those of us who knew what the school was like before the renovation. But we’ll all get the hang of it soon enough, and though you might get lost once or twice, at least you’ll be lost in the best school in McKinney.

Finished Gym