The student news site of McKinney High School

Manestream News

Manestream News

Manestream News

Weather, McKinney TX

• 6 AM
    56 °
  • 7 AM
    56 °
  • 8 AM
    55 °
  • 9 AM
    55 °
  • 10 AM
    54 °
  • 11 AM
    54 °
  • 12 PM
    53 °
  • 1 PM
    53 °
  • 2 PM
    53 °
  • 3 PM
    52 °
  • 4 PM
    52 °
  • 5 PM
    51 °
  • 6 PM
    50 °
  • 7 PM
    49 °
  • 8 PM
    48 °
  • 9 PM
    48 °
  • 10 PM
    48 °
  • 11 PM
    47 °
  • 12 AM
    47 °
  • 1 AM
    47 °
  • 2 AM
    47 °
  • 3 AM
    46 °
  • 4 AM
    46 °
  • 5 AM
    46 °
  • 6 AM
    46 °
April 20
56°/ 47°
Moderate rain
April 21
61°/ 46°
Patchy rain nearby
April 22
67°/ 45°
Sunny

Volunteers needed for Clothe A Child

A new shirt, a pair of pants and a pair of shoes can mean the difference to an elementary student who can’t afford it. Kohl’s department store in McKinney is collaborating Christ Fellowship for  a program called Clothe A Child. The event started last Saturday, Sept. 17, and will happen again Saturday, Sept. 24. Both days of the event are from 6-9 a.m. They are seeking volunteers to help the children shop.

For ten years, this outreach has provided underprivileged children with clothes for school. Local churches and corporations that volunteer to help a child in need of new clothing. Theresa Fendley is one of the assistant managers at Kohl’s that is helping with the cause.

“There are a lot of kids that don’t have new clothes at all,” Fendley said. “They’re in the poorer spectrum of the community. Most of the kids get hand-me-downs through Goodwill. [Clothe A Child] is great for them.”

During the summer, churches, volunteers and corporations- such as Starbucks, Krispy Kreme and Kohl’s – come together to support and aid the cause. Public school counselors distribute applications to high-risk families, and the counselors then select those who will receive invitations to the event. Each child receives a $100 voucher toward any children’s clothing in the store. Each family will pair with a volunteer who assists them in shopping and interacts with them throughout the function.

“It’s a very good organization, “Fendley said. “For $100, kids can get a pair of shoes and clothes. So, it’s very good for them.”

Anyone can help with the event. Volunteers must arrive at 5:30 a.m. to set up. To volunteer or make a donation, go to the Christ Fellowship website. The deadline to apply for the voucher has passed. However, anyone willing to assist is welcome.

by Celina London