The student news site of McKinney High School

Manestream News

Manestream News

Manestream News

Weather, McKinney TX

• 2 AM
    55 °
  • 3 AM
    54 °
  • 4 AM
    54 °
  • 5 AM
    53 °
  • 6 AM
    53 °
  • 7 AM
    52 °
  • 8 AM
    53 °
  • 9 AM
    55 °
  • 10 AM
    57 °
  • 11 AM
    60 °
  • 12 PM
    62 °
  • 1 PM
    64 °
  • 2 PM
    66 °
  • 3 PM
    67 °
  • 4 PM
    68 °
  • 5 PM
    68 °
  • 6 PM
    67 °
  • 7 PM
    65 °
  • 8 PM
    64 °
  • 9 PM
    63 °
  • 10 PM
    62 °
  • 11 PM
    61 °
  • 12 AM
    60 °
  • 1 AM
    60 °
  • 2 AM
    60 °
April 19
69°/ 52°
Patchy rain nearby
April 20
58°/ 47°
Moderate rain
April 21
60°/ 47°
Patchy rain nearby

Facebook versuses Twitter

Two social media portals define this generation. First is Facebook, a virtual diary used to connect globally through pictures, statuses and profiles. Then comes Twitter where the author has 120 characters to connect with followers.  The two have affirmed what Disney said years ago, “It’s a small world after all.” Facebook and Twitter have transformed how the world communicates, but which is better?

So here it is, the low down on Facebook v. Twitter.

Pros of FB: easy to upload pictures, creeping on people, easy to block people, closely connected to family and friends that you never see, and Justin Timberlake was in the movie made about it.

Cons of FB: Parents, cyber bullying, not getting likes on statuses, not having a friend request accepted, people who complain, hash-tags, always changing the format, and Justin Timberlake was in the movie made about it.

Pros of Twitter: Stalking the Kardashians, parents haven’t invaded it, hash-tags, no likes, people are limited in what they can say, re-tweeting, not having to be accepted to follow someone

Cons of Twitter: addicting, annoying terminology, anyone can follow you, cyber bullying, not as easy to upload pictures, pressure to say something clever in the limited space.

Students vary on their levels of commitment to one or the other.

“I was having an identity crisis so I deleted my Twitter,” Senior Ethan Klipprt-Rowe said.”I felt like it was incriminating on my life, it was too much.”

“I’m still converting,”Senior Demi Metzger said.”I still check Facebook before I check Twitter.”

“I love Twitter so much more,”Senior Ally Simpson said.”Facebook is boring now.”

From a business stand point, Facebook is viewed as a branding tool, and Twitter is used to develop customer relationships.

“Facebook shows the style of your business, what makes you unique,” Founder and owner of Natural Running Store Patton Gleason said. “Twitter is a great tool for relationship building. You have a more immediate response on Twitter so customer communication is better. But they’re both great for interacting, I use both.”

So, whether you’re a Facebook or Twitter fan, both have one thing in common; it’s your digital thumb print, what you post counts.

by Hailey Kilgo 

View Comments (1)