The student news site of McKinney High School

Manestream News

Manestream News

Manestream News

Weather, McKinney TX

• 12 AM
    63 °
  • 1 AM
    63 °
  • 2 AM
    62 °
  • 3 AM
    62 °
  • 4 AM
    62 °
  • 5 AM
    63 °
  • 6 AM
    63 °
  • 7 AM
    63 °
  • 8 AM
    64 °
  • 9 AM
    65 °
  • 10 AM
    66 °
  • 11 AM
    68 °
  • 12 PM
    69 °
  • 1 PM
    70 °
  • 2 PM
    72 °
  • 3 PM
    73 °
  • 4 PM
    74 °
  • 5 PM
    74 °
  • 6 PM
    74 °
  • 7 PM
    73 °
  • 8 PM
    72 °
  • 9 PM
    70 °
  • 10 PM
    69 °
  • 11 PM
    69 °
April 23
73°/ 52°
Sunny
April 24
74°/ 62°
Moderate rain
April 25
77°/ 66°
Moderate rain

Studying Starbucks

starWith a 7:30 start time most students have been spending large amounts of money per week on Starbucks just to get a little boost of energy to start off their day. Going to Starbucks everyday may have its benefits, but there are also downsides to it. The cost of some of the drinks at Starbucks may seem cheap at first glance but buying a tall (small) regular coffee cost roughly around $1.65 with out tax. Buying that everyday for a year would cost $602.25, thats a tall stack of cash for a small coffee, but does having this really help students perform better in the classroom?

An increase in course work this year has most students staying late to study for test. Kayla Hauptmann feels that having the extra boost from drinking Starbucks after a long study night helps her stay alert on test day, “It helps a lot since I wake up so early, and it helps me stay focused in my first couple of classes,” but buying Starbucks more than once a week can become more pricey than the small regular coffee. Some students such as Lauren McQuestion spend and much as $20 a week due to the amount of studying she does. “I spend $20 tops, weekly. I mostly get white mocha frappuccino and it cost around $4.68, but the size depends on how late I stay up the night before, I get grandes on the regular and ventis when I stay up late or have a quiz or test.” On the other hand Alexys Barsy may still goto Starbucks weekly, but tries to find other ways to get a cheaper cup of coffee. “I try to spend the least amount of money at Starbucks, because it can get pretty expensive for a high school student. So instead, I try to make coffee at home more often.”

Starbucks may help most students get through their day, but the real question is, are the prices really worth it? Some students think so, but others are willing to find alternatives to jump start their day. Even though the prices may be high, the benefits of being alert and ready to focus in school seem better than being drowsy for the school day.

by Elliot Parkman

photo by Elliot Parkman