The student news site of McKinney High School

Manestream News

Manestream News

Manestream News

Weather, McKinney TX

• 6 AM
    54 °
  • 7 AM
    54 °
  • 8 AM
    55 °
  • 9 AM
    57 °
  • 10 AM
    60 °
  • 11 AM
    63 °
  • 12 PM
    66 °
  • 1 PM
    68 °
  • 2 PM
    70 °
  • 3 PM
    71 °
  • 4 PM
    71 °
  • 5 PM
    70 °
  • 6 PM
    69 °
  • 7 PM
    67 °
  • 8 PM
    66 °
  • 9 PM
    64 °
  • 10 PM
    63 °
  • 11 PM
    62 °
  • 12 AM
    62 °
  • 1 AM
    61 °
  • 2 AM
    60 °
  • 3 AM
    60 °
  • 4 AM
    59 °
  • 5 AM
    59 °
  • 6 AM
    58 °
March 29
72°/ 54°
Sunny
March 30
76°/ 58°
Partly Cloudy
March 31
75°/ 62°
Partly Cloudy

Editorial: Learning curve

Click to view larger

School supplies required for AP and Pre-AP courses at the junior grade level can take a serious toll on students and their families’ budgets. Cost should not stand in the way of students wanting to challenge themselves through advanced level courses. Period. To promote further AP and higher-level course attendance by students of all socio-economic levels, the district should find ways to help provide students in need with necessary materials.

For some, these costs act as actual barriers to enrollment. Fact is, by adhering to the course requirement lists assigned by his/her teachers, a student could spend more than $350 — a staggering sum.

To fix this problem, the school could offer some sort of incentive, such as a homework pass, to students who bring in old (yet still useful) materials like binders, calculators or books. Students involved in clubs could also organize supply drives, like “fill the bus.” Not only would this initiative provide to those in need, but it could also unify students in a worthwhile effort.

Despite the immediate costs of supplies, the expenses of higher-level classes negate themselves in the long run. For one, passing an AP exam can provide college credit to students that could save $1,000s on their tuition. These classes also help boost weighted GPAs, which some colleges consider for acceptance. However, later savings may not be translated; some students do not perform well on their AP exams and circumstantially do not receive college credit.  But regardless, students should take advantage of the investment that the higher-level courses prove to be, rather than be discouraged by the initial payments that the classes require.

One major setback to this proposal is that students who need supplies may be embarrassed to approach teachers on the matter, and that’s understandable. To alleviate this, counselors should issue a school supply request form. This form would be discretely issued and filled out by the student’s parent/guardian. Once completed, supplies would be available to the student through his/her counselor’s office.

In addition, the district could make amends to the academic planning guide, noting ‘the cost of supplies should not act as a deterrent to enrollment.’ Thus, despite anyone’s financial situation, supplies would be made accessible. So, don’t let supply costs stand in the way of AP class enrollment; give the students tools they need to succeed, literally and figuratively.

by Quinn Murray

Infographic by Jacob Derryberry

View Comments (2)