District implements revised grading policy

Jacob Frazier

A revised grading policy will be enforced in the schools of Collin County, as of October 21.

The new policy will revise maximum retake grades of both pre-AP and AP classes, and the amount of time to retake. For Chemistry teacher, Alice Dutton, this is a long overdue idea.

“I feel like it will help students be able to better understand the impact of studying,” Mrs. Dutton said. “I think that it will also create a better foundation on how to really study and go about the retake process.”

However, for students, the maximum retake has not been so well received.

“Well, I’m not particularly happy with that, because I wouldn’t want to have to retake and only get a 70,” freshman, Ally Mateo said. “In retrospect, however, it is fair to everyone”

Junior Sweta Guatam, though, believes that the core classes should not get the privilege they are given.

“I feel that it’s unfair, because I know I’m taking three AP classes this year and AP classes are harder,” Sweta said. “I think that AP works so much harder than core, and its unfair now that we don’t get that advantage of retaking for a higher grade.”

The reduced retake time, however, has been met with a few more open arms.

“I think that’s not to bad you had 5 days usually,” sophomore, Hawkins Williams, said. “Just taking three days out for only a reteach is completely fair, it gives the students a lot more pressure to initially get their grade fixed as fast as possible.”

Though it is more accepted, that does not stop students from harking on the idea.

“Well academically speaking, I don’t think that’s very smart, To only give two days to reteach and retake,” Ally said. “Some people are in extracurricular activities, which may prevent them from being able to go within the two days.”

Among all of these changes, students have pitched some of their own.

“I understand the pre-AP grading revision, because it is supposed to be the same learning but at a faster pace,” sophomore Devyani Suarez said. “But, AP I wish it would be higher than a 70 because it is a lot harder. It’s a college class, and your taking it as a high school sophomore, so I think I would definitely change it.”

Associate principal, Jimmy Bowser, does not want the grading policy to change, but he sees both the flaws and the benefits.

“We recognize that students don’t learn at the same pace,” Mr. Bowser said. “The idea for this policy is that everybody gets a second chance, because that’s the way it is in real life. The idea that we are to prepare kids for a system in college, where its one shot and you’re out. Were going to be preparing them for the real world, where people get second chances.”